Cockpit Green. A traditional single part Synthetic Coach Enamel paint, used in the cockpits of older aircraft. Most RAF specialist vehicles, including Fire Appliances, Land Rovers, airfield vehicles, tractors and lorries used Eau De Nil. This was the standard colour for the interior areas. It got the nickname of Cockpit Green from being used in the Older RAF aircraft (although this is a slightly darker shade). This has stuck with us all these years.
The rumoured origin of Cockpit Green. The reputed reason for Eau de Nil being used was that the Royal Air Force and Air Ministry found Eau de Nil to be relaxing to the eyes of personnel. Normally this was when they were sat in aircraft or vehicles for long periods of time. So, Cockpit Green can be ordered as either Eau De Nil or as Cockpit Green, the generally accepted nickname of this synthetic coach enamel.
Type of Paint
Paintman Paint take pride in only producing the highest quality, hand-mixed paints. Combining premium tints and resin in our formulas develops a paint with outstanding coverage, build and durability; suitable for the finest of projects.
Our mission is to provide paint that is as close to the original shades as possible. Please be aware, shades may differ depending on viewing device.
We are now able to exclusively offer a choice of Enamel to meet your growing requirements:
- Traditional Synthetic Coach Enamel– Maintaining the traditional element of a long wet edge time minimises brush marks whilst maximising its self-levelling ability for a perfectly flat, gloss finish. Our premium formula gives you superb coverage; suitable for the traditional application methods of brushing and rollering. Synthetic Coach Enamel also supports spray application for those who want product originality.
- Ultraspeed Enamel (Spray Only) – A speedy Enamel perfect for those who require a quick turnaround. A 20 minute Flash Off time will allow for a quick turnaround. Paintman’s fast drying formula creates an excellent high build, high-gloss coverage for a range of first-class projects.
Due to the different resins used, you may experience slight shade variations between Ultraspeed and Coach Enamel.
Additional information of interest
- Primer & Undercoat. We recommend using the closest colour primer & undercoat to your top coat. For Cockpit green use white primer and green undercoat.
- Spray application. All of our Enamels will need to be diluted by around 5-10% using Paintman Coach Enamel Thinners, thus ensuring the highest quality finish and maintaining correct drying times.
- Surface Preparation. Prior to painting ensure all surfaces are clean and dry to remove any contaminants. We recommend using our Surface cleaner 2800 for painted surfaces or our Surface Cleaner 2802 for bare metal. Surfaces should be keyed at each layer to maintain adhesion. Just prior to painting, wipe the surface with a Tack Rag to remove dust and other loose contaminants.
- Aerosols. Aerosols in all colour variants are available. Special order aerosols are subject to a minimum order quantity of 4, you can order these directly through here.
- Painting tips and advice. Check out our methods of use page, FAQ’s or YouTube Channel for lots of hints and tips. Alternatively, ask us your question on our Contact page.